Sunday 4 December 2011

Introduction

Welcome to the Centre Block Cafeteria blog! I chose that name because I am a political staffer and I love food. I will endeavour to focus this blog on food and not politics, but I can't promise I won't throw in a political jab here or there.

For those of you who are curious the Centre Block does have a large cafeteria (it also has a nice restaurant and I may review it one day). The food in the cafeteria is fairly standard, there's a salad bar, sandwiches, they have two daily specials and a hot deli where you can get burgers, hot dogs and breakfast. The food isn't great but the price is right and keeps us going on long days. 

My love of food started in my second year of University. I was going to Brock University (go Badgers!) in St. Catharines and I needed a part time job for some extra cash. I got a job making pizza at a little italian restaurant called Big Marco's. Now the pizza was average, but the italian food was off the charts! They had this penne alfredo with a jalapeno pesto, now I know jalapenos aren't the first thing you think of when you hear italian, but it worked! Delicious veal chops and the creamiest cheesecake you will ever eat. Not only was the food good, but the family that ran the place was passionate about their food.

Being the good capitalist that I am with minimum wage not cutting it, I found another job in another kitchen that paid more. That's where I found the other passion in my life, my girlfriend Victoria. I was a cook and she was a manager, I swept her off her feet and the rest is history (that's really not how the story goes, it took a while, but she came around and I've never been happier). 

We both now live in Ottawa, we both share a love for good food, drink and each other. Most of my reviews will include some incite from her, she knows what she's talking about when it comes to service and atmosphere (she's been managing restaurants since she was 19!) So I will leave it at that and write my first restaurant review! 

No comments:

Post a Comment